If you're interested in the health care industry, Genzyme offers many opportunities. Because our operations cover the full spectrum of medical biotechnology, from product development to manufacturing to delivery and patient support, our employees fulfill a wide variety of functions:
- Lab-based research and development
- Clinical research
- Manufacturing operations
- Materials and distribution
- Sales and marketing
- Medical affairs
- Regulatory affairs
- Patient services
- Facilities engineering
- Corporate functions, such as finance, IT, legal, human resources, administrative
Genzyme has three broad types of work sites: research and development centers, manufacturing facilities, and corporate sites. Certain functional roles are often (although not always) tied to a particular site type. Here are some examples:
| Type of Site
|| Associated Roles
- Research associate
- Lab supervisor
- Lab technician
- Clinical physician
- Product safety specialist
- Regulatory specialist
- Formulation scientist
- Process engineer
- Materials/supply coordinator
- Equipment technician
- Manufacturing supervisor
- Training coordinator
- Logistics coordinator
- Quality control specialist
- Product manager
- Marketing specialist
- Business development associate
- Regulatory affairs associate
- Medical liaison
- Sales representative
- Sales analyst
- Patient advocate
- Reimbursement/billing specialist
Manufacturing at Genzyme requires highly skilled staff to manage our complex biotechnology production processes.
Any of these sites may also include positions that support the facility's employees and operations, such as IT, finance, HR, administrative support, building maintenance, and so on. Remember that the above is NOT a comprehensive list of all roles at Genzyme, so be sure to explore our online job search tool to see all currently available opportunities.
With locations in more than 40 countries, Genzyme is truly a global company offering career opportunities in every region of the world. Currently the majority of our employees are located in the United States, but we also have a significant presence in Europe, Asia, and Latin America, plus smaller groups – and ongoing expansion – in other regions.
Learn more about our global reach
See a full list of our worldwide locations
Although Genzyme is represented worldwide, job seekers should be aware that some roles and opportunities are more concentrated in certain regions. For example:
- Our corporate headquarters are located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in the U.S. Therefore the majority of corporate-level positions are located there, with a small number in a few other key locations such as Europe. This includes roles in corporate communications, business development, and marketing, legal, and human resources for the overall company (rather than for individual products or facilities).
- Massachusetts is our R&D hub, and many of our scientific positions are concentrated at our Framingham and Waltham sites. Opportunities in clinical research not tied to labs may be more widespread geographically.
- Our manufacturing sites are currently located primarily in the U.S. and Europe. Each site is usually dedicated to the production of a specific type of product, so local roles may depend on each site's particular operations.
- Opportunities with a wider geographic availability generally include positions in local product sales and distribution, including medical and patient support, as well as administrative and other corporate roles.
Genzyme Center is our corporate headquarters, located in the U.S. in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
One final aspect job seekers should be aware of is Genzyme's high-level business strategy. We are organized into two business units that focus on the following disease areas: Rare Diseases and Multiple Sclerosis.
Learn more about our business units
Some of the positions described above are very clearly tied to a particular disease area, such as sales and marketing for a specific product. Other non-product-specific positions may also be dedicated to a single business unit – for example, a research associate for Rare Diseases. Many roles, however, operate outside of our business unit structure, serving a particular facility or Genzyme's corporate needs. Our recruiters can help you further understand how the roles you are interested in fit into our bigger organizational picture.
Last Updated: 5/13/2015